National Procurement Authority
National Procurement Authority:
Based on decree no. 16 of H.E the President of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan on 1393/7/20, the National Procurement Authority (NPA) established under the Administrative Office of the President.
National Authority Commission:
As per decree no. 75 of the president of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan; the national procurement commission (NPC) established. The commission performs its duties based on specific rules of procedures which are being set by the procurement law and it is approved by the NPC itself.
The NPC Authorities and Responsibilities:
Based on article 54th of procurement law, National Procurement commission has the following authorities and responsibilities:
- Assessment and approval of those procuring contracts which are above threshold of award authority.
- Designating the limits of the procurement entity’s duties and authorities.
- Appointing the NPC members by the head of NPC.
- Getting report from award authorities of procuring entities on how contracts are implemented.
- Assessing proposed projects and procurement issues for approval.
- Deciding on Contracts approval, rejection or return
- Reconsider the procurement entity’s monetary threshold authorities which is proposed by the National Procurement Authority ( NPA )
- In specific cases, while taking into account he situation and national interest of the country; NPC take appropriate decisions;
National Procurement Authority:
The National procurement authority ( NPA ) is established on the basis of decree of his excellency Mohammad Ashraf Ghani the President of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan; and based on article 57th of procurement law, NPA has the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assessing of the proposed contracts of the procurement entities as well as and presenting of the evaluation report to NPC for making decision accordingly;
- Observation and monitoring of the procurement entity’s procurement procedures to make sure that procurement law and rules of procedure is taken into consideration;
- Monitoring the contracts implementation progress as per the rules of procurement procedure;
- Compile, organize and ratification of procurement policies, rules of procedure , guidance, bills , circulars, bidding documents, and other standard bidding documents for improvement and unification of procurement activities and sending them to procuring entities;
- Evaluating of the procurement capacity of procurement entities and awarding the procurement capacity certificate to them;
- Debarment of the offended bidders and contractors;
- Submitting the violation and breach of law cases to legal authorities for prosecution;
- Economic study of procurement and predictions on collecting information and taking decision about hem;
- Setting up the policy on how to use IT in procurement;
- Development of human resource , professional development, conducting training programs; awarding certificate and management of professional and technical affairs of procurement staffs;
- Assessment and review of procuring entity’s monetary threshold whenever required and proposing it to NPC.
- Perform of other duties given to NPA as per procurement law and rules of procedure;
- NPA cannot act as the awarding entity;
- Based on procurement law and if required, NPA can assign procurement observers in procurement entities to assure the effectiveness and authenticity of the procurement processes;
- Presence of the NPA representative in the recruitment process of the key procurement employees is a must, to assure the expertise, capacity and transparency in the process.
- Awareness on the reform in procurement system of Afghanistan and abide by the law on access to information;